Documents for obtaining a temporary residence permit (TRP) in the Russian Federation can be submitted out of quota and according to the quota.
A temporary residence permit out of quota is issued:
- if a foreign citizen has a wife or husband who is a citizen of the Russian Federation in the subject of the Russian Federation in which the place of residence of the citizen of the Russian Federation who is his/her spouse is located;
- to a foreign citizen who is issued a residence permit without obtaining a temporary residence permit (if he does not want to obtain a residence permit);
- to a foreign citizen who has not reached the age of eighteen years and whose parent (adoptive parent, guardian, trustee) is a foreign citizen and temporarily resides in the Russian Federation - for the period of temporary residence of his parent (adoptive parent, guardian, trustee);
- to a foreign citizen under the age of eighteen who receives a temporary residence permit together with a parent (adoptive parent, guardian, trustee) – who is a foreign citizen;
- to a foreign citizen who is a citizen of a state that was part of the USSR and who has received professional education in a state educational organization of higher education, a state professional educational organization or a state scientific organization located on the territory of the Russian Federation, according to educational programs that have state accreditation;
- to a foreign citizen who is a participant in the State program to assist the voluntary resettlement of compatriots living abroad to the Russian Federation, and members of his family moving with him to the Russian Federation;
In other cases, obtaining a temporary residence permit is possible only after receiving a quota.
Documents for a quota are submitted in the region of registration of a foreign citizen. As a rule, documents are accepted for several days during the first days of the month. The result is published after a month. You can submit documents for a quota every month throughout the year.
The result of issuing a quota depends on the amount of the quota (approved by the Government of the Russian Federation separately for each region of the Russian Federation) and on the number of people wishing to receive it in each specific region.
From the moment of receiving a temporary residence permit, a foreign citizen receives a number of requirements and preferences, including:
- the opportunity to stay in the Russian Federation without leaving for up to 3 years;
- the opportunity to carry out labor activities without obtaining a work permit and only on the territory of the subject of the federation where the foreign citizen is registered;
- the total period of stay of a foreign citizen on the territory of the Russian Federation must be at least 183 days;
- a foreign citizen who arrived in the Russian Federation with a visa can receive a multiple-entry visa for the duration of the temporary residence permit (there are exceptions for some countries).
* The period for reviewing documents for obtaining a temporary residence permit is four months (for CIS citizens two months). A temporary residence permit is issued for a period of three years and cannot be extended. No later than four months before the end of the TRP, it is necessary to submit documents for a residence permit, therefore, 8 months after living with a TRP, it is advisable to submit documents for a residence permit.
After receiving a temporary residence permit, a foreign citizen is obliged:
- To register with the territorial division of the Ministry of Internal Affairs within seven working days after receiving the temporary residence permit.
- Within two months from the date of expiry of the next year from the date of obtaining a temporary residence permit, the foreign citizen must personally submit to the territorial body of the federal executive authority in the sphere of migration at the place of obtaining a temporary residence permit a notification on confirmation of his/her residence in the Russian Federation with the attachment of a certificate of income, a copy of a tax declaration or other document confirming the amount and source of income of this foreign citizen for the next year from the date of obtaining a temporary residence permit.