At the moment, there are several ways for foreign citizens registration.
- 1. Foreign citizens temporarily staying in the Russian Federation are required to notify the territorial migration department about this within 7 working days from the date of arrival at the place of stay.
- All procedures for registration and deregistration are the responsibility of the receiving party. To register at the place of stay, a foreign citizen, regardless of age, provides the receiving party with his/her documents (passport, visa, migration card). Any natural or legal person who owns (or has a lease agreement with) the accommodation can act as a receiving party. When a foreign citizen is accommodated in a hotel, the hotel is responsible for registration.
- The receiving party fills out a notification form about the arrival of a foreign citizen at the place of stay and, within 7 working days from the date of arrival of the foreign citizen, submits the completed notification form directly to the territorial migration department, or to the post office, or through the State Services website (gosuslugi.ru). If the receiving party for some reason cannot provide a notification for registration, this notification is provided by a foreign citizen.
- The notification is a formalized form that consists of two parts: a notification of the arrival of a foreign citizen at the place of stay and a detachable part to the form of such notification.
- The territorial migration department or the post office that accepted the notification of arrival checks the correctness of its completion and immediately marks the acceptance of the notification in the detachable part of the form. This mark (including in electronic form) is confirmation of the foreign citizen’s fulfillment of the duties of registration at the place of stay.
- The notification received at the post office is sent by post to the territorial migration department for inclusion in the state information system for migration registration. The detachable part of the notice with a mark is given to the foreign citizen.
- Deregistration occurs automatically when a foreign citizen leaves the Russian Federation.
The period within which a foreign citizen needs to register for migration may vary depending on the citizenship of the foreign citizen, his status and the purpose of entry.
Highly qualified specialists and their family members may not make registration within 90 days of entering the Russian Federation
Citizens of Ukraine and Belarus also have the right not make registration within 90 days of entering the Russian Federation
Citizens of Armenia, Kazakhstan and Kyrgyzstan who arrived for the purpose of carrying out labor activities in the territory of the Russian Federation, and their family members are exempt from the obligation to make registration within 30 days from the date of entry.
Citizens of Tajikistan and Uzbekistan have the right to make registration within 15 days from the moment of arrival on the territory of the Russian Federation.
If a foreign citizen is staying at a hotel, then the hotel staff are required to make him registration within 24 hours for the duration of his stay at the hotel.